Sunday, September 27, 2009

In the throws of canning apple sauce...

I finally got out to pick about 12 pounds of apples. As I'd mentioned earlier, my attempts of grow spotless apples was a disaster. I'm pleased to say that despite their outward (God-awful) appearance, the apples taste just fine. In fact, higher up on the tree, the apples are nearly blemish free, so maybe there's hope for next year.

We've peeled, cored and sliced them all (thank you Pampered Chef Apple-Peeler-Corer-Slicer circa 1993!) and now they are cooking down in a big pot on the stove. I don't have a food mill so I'm going to puree them with a stick blender. I added sugar, more sugar, and cinammon and allspice. I think based on my stock pot I've got at least 10 quarts (there must be a hundred quarts worth on the trees).

I ran out to True Value hardware to get the jars and the big pot with the rack in it. For $48 I'd better be canning for the rest of my life....

I'll try to post photos of the final product (it isn't that exciting to photograph people peeling apples).

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails