Monday, November 30, 2009

Trying a new receipe

**Update**

I loved this recipe and even my non sweet potato eating husband liked it, but for the 10 year old and the 7 year old, it wasn't as appealing. I could eat it all day, but then I love sweet potatoes.

I did stir it about twice during the time it cooked. I lowered it to "keep warm" at 2pm and we ate it at around 6pm. It did produce a lot of moisture from the potatoes and didn't dry out. I also smushed them to make them mashed, although your could leave them as chunks. And I did add a handful of mini marshmallows and stirred them in. Frankly, after a half a stick of butter and all that sugar, what's the difference! :-)

Here's one that I *know* I will like but it's 50/50 for the rest of the family:

A Very Sweet Crock-pot of Potatoes

6 large sweet potatoes peeled and cut into one inch chunks (you will need a large, heavy knife. Good Lord these are like chopping bricks)
1/2 cup of brown sugar (I added more)
1/4 stick of butter
1 T cinnamon
1/2 cup apple sauce (since I have 8 quarts chunky sauce canned I added a bit more, like 1 cup)


  1. Chop the sweet potatoes into pieces and add to crock-pot. I am using a 5qt size.
  2. Mix in a bowl the brown sugar and butter. My brown sugar was a solid rock, no way to scoop anything. I whack off a big section approximately 3/4 a cup worth and dumped it and the half stick (1/4 cup) of butter into a bowl and popped it into the microwave for 1 minute. Voila! Melted butter AND nice soft brown sugar). Stir in cinnamon and applesauce.
  3. Pour wet mixture over the cut potatoes.

I am cooking them on low for 8 hours. It doesn't look like a whole lot of liquid to me so I am going to watch this and report back. I may stir in some mini marshmallows later once it gets going.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails