Saturday, May 1, 2010

Freezer cooking, what do you think of this?


So I'm reading the web this evening and I come across a popular blogger (I won't mention which one. You'll see why). This very successful blogger posts daily on frugal living, and one of the topics she mentions regularly is called "freezer cooking." The premise of freezer (or once a month) cooking is that you plan all of your meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) for the entire month, and cook ALL of it over a period of one or two days, and then throw it all in the freezer to defrost when needed.

I took a look at her recipes and those of the many (many) people who linked to her post with their own freezer cooking plans.  I don't know, maybe it's just me (it's me, isn't it?) but this just doesn't appeal to me for so many reasons:


  • Too many casseroles
  • Heavy, fatty foods
  • Too much ground beef. WAY too much ground beef.
  • Bland boring food (bean burritos, cheesey-chicken something, southwest-chicken something)
  • No veggies, or worse, veggies stewed in some kind of cheese sauce
It all seems so BAD for you. I'm no 100% raw, organic cook, but even working full time with two active children, a working husband and zero patience for meal planning, my "cooked to order" meal plan is healthier and has more variety. I've copied the recipe plan from one person (who shall remain nameless) to give you an example:
  • Pot Pies
  • Freezer Hashbrowns, Mashed Potatoes, and Fries
  • Meatloaf, Meatballs, and Hamburger Patties
  • Lasagna
  • Layered Mexican Chicken Casserole
  • Enchiladas
  • Pizza Dough x3
  • Macaroni and Cheese and Spaghetti Casserole
  • French Toast Sticks, Breakfast Cookies, Biscuit Mix, and maybe Breakfast Pockets


Is it just me, but is every meal BROWN??  I am a live and let live person, and if this works for them, by God let 'em at it, but I just can't do this. Can't.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails